Monday, March 22, 2010

WikiMalicki

When I first heard about Wikipedia, I genuinely thought he played for the New Zealand Rugby Union team. Probably a Mauri with penchant for crushing opposing players with hugs. I like hugs, but not from Mauri men. Mauri women, mmm, not sure, they kind of intimidate me too, but I suppose a hug is a hug. Maybe when I'm feeling down and out about stuff, I could ring a Mauri and they could come and give me a hug. 1800 MAURIHUG. Sorry I think I'm off topic again.
Wikipedia is really addictive. When I flick on the computer machine, I go straight to Wiki and look up facts about Daryl Braithwaite and golden retrievers. They are my favourite two things. The perfect day would be walking in a park with a golden retriever, sans tennis ball, with Daryl following me, gently playing One Summer, Horses, but not anything from Sherbet. If we're halfway through a gentle stroll and he belts out Howzat, it's basically walk over, hometime. And I tell you what, that would upset any golden retriever, they love walking. They need lots of exercise. They also possess a friendly, eager-to-please demour. A bit like this guy but more active and not quite as orange.
Wikipedia is certainly a pretty amazing resource. But it's a bit like having a really smart guy on your pub quiz night team. Sure, he's quick to answer the tricky questions, but you still need to ask around the table to make sure. He's not reliable enough. He could be working for another table, sabotaging your attempts to win. I just don't trust him. Plus when it's his round he's always well behind the pace and you're getting annoyed. Drink up. That's what Wikipedia is. A sly, dodgy, unreliable genuis. Like this bloke.
So when it comes to using it in the classroom, you need to be aware that Wikipedia might try and pull a swifty on you. Educate your students that not all information might be accurate. Encourage students to question the information, maybe even ask the students to consider contributing to the site. Only today did a Year 5 student tell me that he often corrects spelling errors on Wikipedia, although admittedly he is a genuis. Literally. Unlike these people.
Once a week I tutor 13yo boys at a school in the cultural capital of the world, Perth. They use computer machines in preference to pens and paper, and they use both Wikipedia and Encylopedia Britanica. But here's the kicker, and I swear this is true - Wikipedia is used on the computers, whereas the volumes of encylopedias are used as mouse pads. They kind of work together. Kind of.

6 comments:

  1. Yet another tour de force from the pen of that well-known wag, Thomas 'T-Bone' Colebatch. What you said about the kids using Britannica volumes as mouse mats seems highly symbolic, and reminds me of an old employer of mine (a senior journalist), who wedged paperback copies of his own books under table legs to make the table steady. Since I was also working in a bookshop at the time, and had a very reverential attitude towards books, I was genuinely shocked. Perhaps the point is that books have become cheap, especially the nastier paperback 'pulp' ones. Craig Mod thinks that print books have been placed on too high a pedestal - see his article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think the new generation of students would consider picking up an Encylopedia to research information therefore at least they have a purpose in the school! Although there must be cheaper mouse mats around! Other uses for the books could include: door stop, paper weight, fuel for the fire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Simon - there's something very resonant about that image of hard copy encylopedias being used as mouse mats by kids looking up Wikipedia ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Horses & Daryl... don't need Wiki if you can daggy dance to this. Awesome images in this post. Perth, eh?... sounds like a progressive place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Half-guilty? I currently have a dictionary to elevate my computer monitor, and a Marketing textbook (+ laptop stand) for my laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the analogy of Wikipedia being like a member of your team at a pub quiz night! There have been many a time I have had a smart arse team member that I would have to query constatntly.

    ReplyDelete