Tuesday, April 20, 2010

TextSpeak

Textspeak. The cool kids use it, the uncool, the smart, even the dumb kids use it. They lv it. See what I did there? Yeah, I'm a textspeak maverick.
Look, if I'm down to a few extra letters in a text message and need to cull the sentence to "cm on, im rly lnly n :(, pls go out wit me" to fit inside the prescribed letters to stop it going out as one text rather than two, the message gets across, I've saved $0.30 and it just means I can send a few more pleads to other girls I've met on the internet. But if a student is going to write an assignment, I'm going to cruicify him or her if they include text speak. Seriously, I will hang them and suffer the legal ramifications. My hatred for textspeak is on par with my hatred for Masterchef. How the hell is that thing popular? I digress.
I will let students off with a slight backhand to the face if they use textspeak whilst taking notes. This makes a great deal of sense, and highlights to me that students understand how the word is correctly spelt.
I think you need to set clear instructions about when students can and can't use text speak.

3 comments:

  1. I just want to point out that I would never cruicify or hit a student. Sometimes I just work myself into such a state of 'rant' I can't stop. I need help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree entirely (except about the crucifying bit!) - students should use text speak as a way to fit their text messages into one message, not two, or for note taking. Anything past that becomes useless and contributes to the disintegration of the English language. Can anyone think of any other useful ways to use text speak? I would love to love it, but I don't! And I don't think its particularly cool - only economical!

    ReplyDelete