Monday, March 15, 2010

Bloggy Blog Bloggy

One year and one month into my masters course in education, I do not know what pedagogical means. I can't even spell it without copying it, and I certainly can't pronounce it. All in all, a bit of a disaster, considering it's a key term used frequently in several of the courses. I asked my housemate, who I won't name, and he doesn't know either. Embarrassing somewhat wouldn't you say?
So I'm faced with a pretty easy option I suppose. Get on Mr Google, or his less popular cousin, Dr Bing, and search for an answer. But it's late, and I really can't be bothered. There's a big night of educational viewing on the television, and I'll be buggered if I miss out on some truly painful Paul McDermott highly rehearsed banter with Claire Hooper. She has scary eyes. Or maybe I might watch some Four Corners. Eat some grapes. And have some yoghurt in a small tub. Sorry I think I've drifted off-topic somewhat.
Ah yes, so back to D) Weekly Task: Blog. Never liked blogs. Not for me. I'd prefer to try and swallow a housebrick that read one, let alone write one. And if I made my kids write them, I'd just get angry having to read them all. It could get violent.
Blogs are essential diaries for people to log the boring mundane aspects of their day, reflect on the hillariously tedious issues they have faced, and I hate them. Not all blogs. I'm sure some are really interesting. I just haven't got the time or the interest to find them. If my students are going to interact, communicate with a wider audience, I'd rather they went to Bunnings, bought some nails, wood, a hammer, caught a bus into the middle of the city, build themselves a soapbox and told the world their thoughts. Obviously though this could be a problem. Not every student might be able to afford such materials, let alone be allowed to catch a bus into town. Plus, if they're really short, what use will a box be? They'll need something much bigger. And their voice isn't going to be loud enough. And I reckon it might be against the law - do buskers need licenses in Perth? Maybe blogs are easier. Yeah, sorry, everyone, I've changed my mind. Blogs rule ok.
So I'm going to get my class to constantly blog. I want them to blog blog blog. Cancel recess, we're all going blogging. Damn, I want your opinion on stuff, and I want it now kids. Get typing. Bless you Web 2.0, you're a gift.
Oh, Good News Week is about to start.
Must go now.

8 comments:

  1. Everyone ignores the soapbox people. Like the 'jesus loves you' or the 'end discrimination against men' guys in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tom, for that rant. Just one question - about having some yoghurt in a small tub: is the yoghurt in the tub, or you, or both? Simon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also only found recently out what pedagogy means too. I think I used it 8 or 9 times in my last essay. Love that word.
    Thanks for the insightful critique on blogs in education - you make a good point about soap boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. are you going to share the meaning phil? or do we all have to go to wikipedia and find it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delightful reading, thank you for improving my day.

    As for the arguments pro and con - a word for you to keep: ineluctable: better than irrefutable, an unavoidable reality.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a fancy-pants word for teaching practice, e.g. good pedagogy = good teaching practice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, point taken,,the disadvantages of blogs is weel and truely witness and noted. However, I also can't stop laughing!
    I noticed Mark has not commented. What have you done to him?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do need a permit to busk in the city, however it is free in Fremantle I would recommend near the entrance to the train station.

    As for students not being able to afford box building materials perhaps you could build a class box and take turns using it. I'm sure there is a literacy requirement for oral presentation /public speaking this would take care of.

    ReplyDelete