Tuesday, May 18, 2010

InfoOverloado

At great risk, I wish to say quite simply, I am not really 'getting into' all these web tools. I like getting my news from news websites, I like sharing social information facebook from time to time (especially when o/s or interstate), and I 'google' when I need to find an article or journal.
I can't see when I will use the sites illustrated in today's lecture. I'm not saying they are not useful, I can see that for some people these sites are going to be extremely helpful. But for me, I want to spend as little time online as possible. I wish I was really into uni, and all the things were are exposed to, but I just want to cruise. I like cruising.
Maybe in time i will see the benefit of all this information. But when exposed to it all in these tutorials, all I learn is that there is so much to learn, if I want to learn it. I think that makes sense. Teaching for me will be a job, something I want to be great at, and there will be aspects of technology I use. But it's not a passion. IT experts must love it. I just see it as more work. Call me lazy, but the less information the better. I can just relax in my little world, walk the dog, catch fish, go for a swim, basically, make sure my students are well equipped in the classroom, but in the main, avoid being in front of the computer.

6 comments:

  1. Yeah, I was very happy when I was in Tassie, for the most part without a laptop & net connection. Bushwalking & going for river swims are far more enjoyable than getting a headache & sore eyes from too much screen time. But I can't really see how it's possible to avoid it or switch off, particularly once we start teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I'm on the edge of a cliff looking down at this deep ocean of amazing tools I'll never understand or really be equipped to use. I'm just one small stumble away from falling into the void and being sucked into this virtual quagmire if I dwell too long on any of these tools. But again it comes back to how to use them appropriately in the classroom - we're not being told we have to try all of these with our students or use some kind of web-based tool in every lesson and that helps me sleep at night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We need people like you and teachers like you to role model "cruisy", and ability to maintain life balance.

    There is strength in doing enough to get by and not living to other's expectations.
    The outdoorsy type stuff I think is where the "balance" comes in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I think it is scary that a lot of kids have grown up with technology and have probably never had access to bush walks and mud fights in the dam. I loved the computer when I was little but I also loved running around outside in bare feet. The web is another whole world - its a great world - but its not the only world.

    On the plus side, I am finding a lot of great teaching ideas with this new technology and I think (depending on which schools we go to) we will really be able to connect with students on new level.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Balance is definitely the key with technology use. As I mentioned in a comment on Sara's "Info Overload" post, there are times when it's important to take a step back from all the technology. Much as I like working with it, I also switch it off some of the time - in fact, I'd go so far as to say that knowing when to switch it off is part of digital literacy.

    Of course, as Matt has said above, you don't have to use all the tools. The course is presenting you with the range of options out there, so that you'll have some sense of what's possible, but when it comes to using tools yourself, you need to start small: choose one or two that are most useful and, only once you're comfortable with those, begin adding to your 'repertoire'. I'd add that it's important that you have a sense of what's possible so that you can make judicious choices, but also so you can make sure your students don't miss out on acquiring key skills ... in the same way that, say, a teacher who doesn't like novels still has to make sure that students learn about them.

    At the same time there is plenty for students to learn when they are NOT in front of computers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well made point Tom, says Kate who had to see her physio today after too many days in front of the computer - apparently without a chiro I will be an old lady with a hunch!
    We need the balance just as much as the students will, demonstrating this healthy relationship is the best we can do as teachers.

    ReplyDelete